Can online video boost your conversion rates?
Video is becoming an important feature of many websites. Here are a few examples of websites where we’ve used an online video:
- Digicast –Video Production and Corporate Videos – http://www.digicast.com.au/
- Melbourne Brick Company – http://www.melbournebrick.com.au/aboutus.asp
Used discerningly, an online video can increase the chance of a website conversion because it can:
- Enhance a customer’s ability to understand or relate to an offering
- Demonstrate convincing features and benefits
- Engage with the customer on a more personal level.
However, there is a downside of using online video. Some of the drawbacks can be that:
- It may be slow to download depending on the size, quality and speed of the viewer’s connection
- Videos are “real time” and force people into a time frame. As opposed to copy on a web page which can be scanned and read at their own pace, a one minute video takes one minute to watch.
You can use online video to achieve higher website conversion rates. When using an online video make sure that you:
- Offer the choice of video, but don’t automatically play it. Let the user decide.
- Keep videos short and to the point – no longer than one minute if possible.
- Ensure that the video clearly supports the conversion goal and the purpose of the web page. Don’t use a video just to have a cool website.